This unimaginable muffin recipe comes from the AK archives again in 2017 and studying again on the publish was such a enjoyable journey down reminiscence lane. I wrote it proper after Tony and I bought engaged, and am reposting it now that we’re married in a brand new residence with THREE little boys!
Time really flies, however excellent wholesome chocolate banana muffins are nonetheless the last word deal with.
These muffins are a tackle my well-known Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins however with a chocolate twist that significantly makes them style like chocolate cake. I initially made them after receiving the sweetest notice from a girl named Sara and her (then) 4-year-old daughter, Reagan. Sara described Reagan as a real little chef and baker who was really superb within the kitchen. They’d a wonderful baking day after discovering my banana chocolate chip muffins and emailed me the kindest notice and cutest photograph.
I whipped up the all time chocolate model of these muffins only for Reagan, who’s now 10! Whether or not or not they see this publish replace, it’s so enjoyable to suppose again on that reminiscence and the ways in which Bold Kitchen has touched so many lives over time.
SO, get a baking day in your calendar, make a batch of those chocolate beauties, and have your self a beautiful week.
What makes these chocolate banana muffins more healthy?
Conventional chocolate banana muffins, whereas completely scrumptious, are usually made with a number of refined sugar and butter or oil. I lightened these infants up a bit by sweetening them with simply 1/4 cup of honey and ripe, mashed bananas in order that they’re refined sugar free. You’ll additionally solely want 2 tablespoons of oil as a result of the muffins get additional moisture from protein-packed greek yogurt! In addition they have a lift of entire grains because of entire wheat pastry flour as an alternative of white flour.
Elements in one of the best wholesome chocolate banana muffins
Whereas they’re chocolate muffins, they’re made with entire grains, protein packed greek yogurt, naturally sweetened with honey (or maple syrup) and include only a trace of chocolate sweetness. I name them perfection. Right here’s what you’ll must make them:
- Bananas: you’ll want to use tremendous ripe bananas with a number of brown spots to get the right quantity of sweetness and banana taste.
- Honey: we’re additionally including a bit honey to spice up the sweetness. It’s also possible to use pure maple syrup in the event you’d like.
- Egg: you’ll want one egg on this muffin recipe.
- Oil: a pair tablespoons of olive oil so as to add moisture.
- Yogurt: a bit yogurt provides further moisture and a lift of protein. Be at liberty to make use of plain or vanilla 2% yogurt or entire milk greek yogurt.
- Flour: you’ll want entire wheat pastry flour to present the muffins that fluff issue.
- Cocoa powder: for the last word wealthy chocolate taste. Remember to use prime quality cocoa powder or cacao powder for one of the best taste!
- Baking staples: don’t neglect the vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt.
- Chocolate chips: gotta have that melty chocolate in each chunk. Don’t neglect to sprinkle the muffins with a number of chocolate chips on high, too.
I like to high them with a dollop of peanut butter as a result of everybody is aware of PB + chocolate = life.
Non-obligatory ingredient swaps
As with all baking recipes, I counsel sticking with the recipe as greatest as potential to make sure that they arrive out completely each time. Listed below are a number of ingredient swaps I can advocate:
- For the oil: be happy to make use of avocado oil, melted & cooled coconut oil, or melted butter or vegan butter rather than the olive oil.
- For the yogurt: 2% plain greek yogurt provides one of the best moisture, however nonfat yogurt or dairy-free yogurt also needs to work effectively.
- For the flour: be happy to make use of white entire wheat flour or a mixture of entire wheat flour and all goal flour.
Can I make them gluten free?
I’ve solely examined these muffins utilizing entire wheat pastry flour or a mixture of entire wheat flour and all goal flour, so I can’t advocate a gluten-free substitute. Be at liberty to attempt my Paleo Double Chocolate Tahini Banana Muffins as an alternative!
What about vegan?
I haven’t examined a vegan model of those muffins both, however you may attempt swapping the egg for 1 flax egg, and utilizing your favourite plain or vanilla dairy free yogurt. Then you’ll want to use maple syrup as an alternative of the honey in addition to dairy free chocolate chips. Let me know within the feedback in the event you attempt it!
Strive a wholesome chocolate banana bread
I feel these wholesome chocolate banana muffins may be made right into a bread, too! Merely pour the batter into an 8×4 inch loaf pan greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40-55 minutes till a toothpick comes out clear.
Alternatively, attempt one in all these scrumptious chocolate banana bread recipes:
Storing & freezing ideas
- To retailer: retailer these chocolate banana muffins on the counter in an hermetic container for a day, then switch them to the fridge for as much as 4-5 days. The muffins get even fudgier after sitting in an hermetic container for a day; they sweeten up a bit and get tremendous delicate.
- To freeze: place the muffins in an hermetic container or reusable bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. If you’re able to eat them, you may microwave them for 45 seconds-1 minute or till heat.
Our fav muffin-baking instruments
Don’t neglect to take a look at all of our favourite kitchen necessities.
Extra wholesome muffin recipes you’ll love
Get all of my muffin recipes right here!
When you make these wholesome chocolate banana muffins, you’ll want to go away a remark under and charge the recipe! It’s also possible to snap and movie and publish it on Instagram utilizing the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. And naturally you’ll want to comply with Bold Kitchen on Instagram. xo!
Wholesome Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Wholesome double chocolate banana muffins made with entire grains and naturally sweetened with honey and ripe bananas. These wholesome chocolate banana muffins are completely moist and made in a single bowl for a straightforward breakfast or snack! Freezer-friendly and completely scrumptious.
medium ripe bananas, mashed
honey or pure maple syrup
additional virgin olive oil (can sub melted and cooled coconut oil, avocado oil or butter)
plain or vanilla 2% or whole-milk greek yogurt
entire wheat pastry flour or white entire wheat flour*
unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder (use a top quality cocoa powder)
chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on high
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a big bowl add the mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and greek yogurt. Whisk moist components collectively till effectively mixed.
Add dry components to moist components: entire wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Combine till mixed. Stir in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
Pour batter into greased muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on high of muffins. Bake for 23-27 minutes till the tester comes out clear.
*You should utilize a mixture of common entire wheat flour and all goal, however these are greatest when made with entire wheat pastry flour or white entire wheat flour.
Servings: 12 muffins
Serving measurement: 1 muffin
Saturated fats: 3.6g
Recipe by Monique Volz | Pictures by: Sarah Fennel
This publish was initially revealed on January third, 2017, and republished on April twentieth, 2023.