Most mudras for meditation that we do in the present day are both closed eyes or open eyes meditation strategies. A only a few mudras are carried out with half-open eyes; Shambhavi Mudra is one such distinctive apply.
In Shambhavi Mudra, nonetheless, your posture stays just like conventional meditation positions however as an alternative of utterly closing the eyes, you roll your eyeballs in the direction of the center of the eyebrows – referred to as the location of third eye chakra.
This text explains the potential advantages of Shambhavi Mudra and detailed steps for easy methods to do it. We’ll additionally look extra intently at Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya which is taught by Sadhguru underneath Isha Yoga Packages.
A Quickstart Information to Yoga Mudra
What’s Shambhavi Mudra?
Shambhavi Mudra is an historical meditation apply wherein a yogi roll eyeballs up and inwards and fixes the gaze within the middle of the eyebrows. The sight is saved inwardly regular whereas the eyes stay half-open. It could seem the individual is seeing every part, whereas in actuality, he sees nothing outdoors.
In conventional yoga apply, Shambhavi Mudra can also be known as Bhrumadhya drishti. Actually translating Sanskrit phrases, Bhru means eyebrows, madhya means middle and drishti means gaze or sight. Due to this fact, Shambhavi Mudra is also called Eyebrow Heart Gazing gesture.
Out of 5 forms of yoga mudras, Shambhavi Mudra comes underneath Mana or head mudras class. Mana mudras are these practices which utilise the organs connected to the top (mana) (reminiscent of eyes, ears, nostril, tongue or lips) to make a gesture. Many mana mudras on their very own are meditation strategies.
Nevertheless, Shambhavi Mudra is often mixed with kriya yoga practices, it may be achieved as a stand-alone meditation train.
You could incorporate Shambhavi Mudra in these yoga practices to induce a meditative state shortly:
This mudra’s point out could be seen in varied yogic and tantric texts together with Gheranda Samhita (chapter 3), Hatha Yoga Pradipika (chapter 4), Shiva Samhita, and Amnaska Yoga.
Hatha Yoga Pradipika explains that Shambhavi Mudra is achieved when the yogi stays inwardly attentive to the Brahman, maintaining the thoughts and the Prana absorbed in that whereas maintaining the sight directed to the exterior objects with out blinking the eyes.
The apply of Shambhavi Mudra stops the causes of psychological fluctuations and brings the thoughts right into a state of stability appropriate for Dhyana. It’s a robust meditation method for opening the third eye. Whereas gazing on the eyebrow middle, our Ajna Chakra will get activated which boosts focus and religious connection.
The mythology behind Shambhavi Mudra
There’s a story that goes behind the apply of Shambhavi Mudra.
The phrase “Shambhavi” in Sanskrit means “Lord Shiva’s Beloved”. Based on Hindu legends, Shambhavi is likely one of the many names of Lord Shiva’s consort Parvati. It’s believed when Parvati requested Shiva about enlightenment and varied yogic practices that may lead one to greater states of consciousness, he taught her the strategy of Shambhavi Mudra.
The apply of Shambhavi Mudra is alleged to activate divine female vitality (Shakti) inside the practitioner that’s comparable to Parvati – Shiva’s consort. The union of Shiva and Shakti is the only real objective of meditating on the third eye in Shambhavi Mudra.
Shambhavi and Kundalini Shakti
In kundalini yoga, Shambhavi symbolizes the same divine vitality that lies inside us as Kundalini Shakti. Usually it’s current in a dormant state within the type of a coiled-up snake on the base of the backbone inside the Muladhara chakra.
When one focuses on the eyebrow middle in Shambhavi Mudra and this apply advances with time, kundalini shakti awakens. On its awakening, kundalini begins rising upwards in Sushumna nadi, piercing 7 chakras – muladhara, svadhishthana, manipura, anahata, vishuddha and ajna – one after one other in its path.
Shiva or Shambhu is alleged to reside on the Ajna Chakra, the house between eyebrows, and the female vitality or Kundalini is being drawn as much as the third eye to reconnect with Shiva. When kundalini shakti unites with the Shiva, the yogi experiences the bliss out of this union.
Svatmarama Yogi says in his treatise Hatha Yoga Pradipika, No matter fantastic shunya (void) or ashunya (not void) is perceived in Shambhavi Mudra meditation, is to be thought to be the manifestation of that nice Shambhu (Shiva).
Shambhavi known as to the woke up type of kundalini shakti when it unites with Shiva or Shambhu on the third eye. On this method, Shambhavi actually means “born out of Shambhu’s bliss”.
Preparatory train for Shambhavi Mudra
Trataka (Candle Flame Gazing) and Agochari Mudra (Nostril Tip Gazing) are two efficient yoga workouts on your eyes to organize for Shambhavi Mudra apply. These practices prepare your eyes to remain targeted at a focus for an extended period.
For Trataka, you want to sit in a cushty pose and place a lit candle at a distance. The space needs to be such that you don’t want to bend your head ahead or backwards. The candle flame needs to be at eye stage. Throughout candle gazing, your backbone needs to be straight and your gaze fastened on the level the place the flame originates.
Your focus needs to be unwavering and to the purpose the place you begin feeling tears kind in your eyes.
In Agochari Mudra, you need to sit in a relaxed pose, place your index finger on the tip of the nostril and repair your gaze on the tip. When your eyes have change into accustomed to this placement, slowly begin transferring your finger in the direction of the center of the eyebrows.
Maintain your eyes fastened all through the motion. Cease when the fingertip is out of sight and your eyes have considerably moved as much as concentrate on in between the eyebrows. Observe any one in every of these strategies commonly and while you really feel that your eyes can robotically discover the purpose of gaze between the brows, you can begin practising the Shambhavi Mudra.
How you can Do Shambhavi Mudra?
It’s at all times suggested to do Shambhavi mudra like advance apply underneath the steering of a guru. One should do it empty abdomen, if not, wait till 2 to three hours after a big meal. Select a spot the place there is no such thing as a exterior noise taking place and the place you may stare upon a strong floor (like a wall) instantly in entrance of you.
To do Shambhavi Mudra your self, observe these steps:
- Begin in a seated cross-legged place, ideally Siddhasana or Sukhasana. Sit up tall.
- Place your fingers in your knees, palms going through upward. Make Gyan mudra with each fingers.
- Slowly shut your eyes and loosen up the muscular tissues of the face, shoulders, neck, and the muscular tissues holding the eyeballs
- Then slowly open your eyes and look instantly in entrance of you at eye stage – select some extent on the wall. Retaining your stare upon this eye-level level, repair your head on this place.
- Now roll your eyeballs up and inwards and repair the gaze within the middle of the eyebrows. The top mustn’t transfer.
- When carried out appropriately, the curve of the eyebrows will kind a V-shaped picture. The apex of the ‘V’ is positioned on the eyebrow middle. If the V- formation is just not seen, the eyeballs will not be directed upward and inward appropriately.
- Maintain the gaze on the level between the brows with out blinking until comfy. When eyes get drained or begin watering, discontinue the apply. After a brief relaxation, resume the apply.
- Whereas your eyes are closed, droop the thought course of and meditate on the stillness of darkness that has taken over your eyes. For higher focus, you may chant OM and concentrate on its echoing sound inside you.
After mastering the motion of the eyeballs, incorporate inhaling Shambhavi Mudra.
- Inhale slowly whereas elevating the gaze. Direct your consciousness up at Ajna Chakra with eyeballs upward motion.
- Maintain your breath whereas sustaining your upward gaze.
- Exhale slowly because the gaze is lowered.
Initially, you need to do the apply of Shambhavi mudra just for 5 to six minutes in a variety of rounds. In every spherical, a newbie ought to goal to carry the gaze for no less than 10 to fifteen seconds. As quickly as your eyes begin straining, shut and clasp them together with your palms. Watering within the eyes is okay so far as you’re comfy holding the gaze.
Superior practitioners can carry out Shambhavi mudra with closed eyes. It’s troublesome to entry the place of your gaze when your eyes are closed nonetheless with common apply, your eyes will robotically be directed to the proper place even when they’re closed.
What are the advantages of Shambhavi Mudra?
A seeker might get the next advantages from Shambhavi Mudra:
- Shambhavi mudra strengthens eye muscular tissues and relieves accrued pressure across the brow space.
- It could additionally assist in drooping of the eyelid (ptosis) and double imaginative and prescient (diplopia).
- It prompts the Ajna chakra and helps in opening the third eye.
- Shambhavi mudra stimulates the pineal gland which in flip helps management sleep patterns, decision-making abilities, and notion of actuality.
- It helps enhance the mind’s alpha waves, which in flip make you are feeling calmer, much less anxious and extra inventive.
- In his ebook “Yoga Secrets and techniques of Psychic Powers” Jyotir Maya Nanda Swami point out that by the apply of this mudra yogis attain siddhis and supernatural powers.
- Watery eyes in Shambhavi mudra detoxify you bodily and mentally. Bodily it cleanses the eyes and brow organs whereas mentally it removes the damaging, unuseful and unconscious ideas.
- The apply of shambhavi mudra enhances interpersonal communication abilities: your skill to successfully talk, work together and work with people and teams.
- It develops focus, psychological stability and thoughtlessness, which is required to attain Samadhi – the last stage of yoga.
- Eyeball motion in Shambhavi Mudra is linked to varied meridians of the decrease physique. It not directly enhances the perform of the urinary bladder, coronary heart, and liver.
- It may well assist stop migraine, complications, tiredness, laziness, and many others. when carried out appropriately and persistently.
One ought to keep away from doing Shambhavi Mudra within the following eye situations:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Latest cataract surgical procedure or lens implant
Whereas practising shambhavi mudra, take away contact lenses, glass, or any sort of exterior eyewear that may impede the imaginative and prescient.
Wash your eyes with barely chilly (or room temperature) consuming water. Take water in a single palm and gently dip your eye into it for a couple of seconds. Blink your eyes slowly a couple of occasions whereas it’s immersed within the water.
Don’t apply Shambhavi Mudra with a full abdomen or instantly after having a full meal.
Overdoing or improper method of doing Shambhavi Mudra may cause eye pressure, dizziness and headache. Typically one might expertise phantasmagoric visions (wildly variant scenes that meld into one different) however with constant apply, it would go off.
Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya
Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya or just “Shambhavi Mahamudra” is a novel 21-minute apply that comes with a number of preparatory asanas (upa yoga), respiratory workouts, bandhas, mudras, mantra chanting and meditation in a particular sequence.
This kriya is developed by Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev – one of many distinguished yoga gurus of India and taught underneath a program by Isha Basis – a nonprofit group of Sadhguru.
To study Shambhavi Mahamudra, first, you will need to full a Isha Yoga Program known as “Interior Engineering”. On this program, you’ll study the essential parts mandatory for apply in seven 90-minute periods. Solely after finishing this course, Sadhguru does the Shambhavi initiation after which taught it in a program known as “Interior Engineering Completion”.
Even a newbie can study Shambhavi Mahamudra by enrolling in each applications “Interior Engineering” and “Interior Engineering Completion” one after one other. Combinedly it could take 4 or 7 days to finish the Shambhavi Mahamudra course together with the Interior Engineering program. The applications can be found on-line and in addition could be attended in a Isha Yoga Heart (https://www.innerengineering.com/).
What are the steps of Shambhavi Mahamudra?
Ideally, Shambhavi Mahamudra kriya needs to be carried out in 21 minutes (excluding Upa Yoga apply). The whole kriya is carried out sitting in Siddhasana. It’s suggested to apply this kriya two occasions a day (ideally morning and night).
The whole technique of Shambhavi Mahamudra includes a couple of steps previous to the precise kriya. Under is the process in brief:
- Start the apply with 3 preparatory asanas; Patangasna (butterfly pose), Shishupalasna (rock the child pose) and NadiVibajan (cat stretch). All 3 asanas are carried out gently in 5 minute-period.
- Now sit cross-legged in Siddhasana or completed pose and do Sukha Kriya or Nadi Shodhana Pranayama for six to 7 minutes.
- Then loudly chant AUM 21 occasions with lengthy deep respiratory and fingers in Gyan mudra.
- Subsequent, do fast-paced Bhastrika pranayama or Fluttering of Breath for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carry out Kumbhaka (breath retention) on the finish of Fluttering Breath and interact three bandhas one after the other; first Mula bandha (pelvic ground), then uddiyana bandha (decrease stomach) and at last throat lock (Jalandhar bandha).
- Retaining your bandhas engaged, barely upturn your head, shut your eyes and concentrate on the house between eyebrows – As we do in fundamental Shambhavi Mudra with open eyes. It’s the precise kriya.
- Finish the apply with 5-minute of Vipassana meditation. Focus your consciousness on the current second and watch your breath.
- Be within the above meditative posture for a couple of minutes after which slowly open your eyes.
One should word that Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya is inspired to study underneath the supervision of licensed Isha Yoga academics or Sadhguru himself. An orderly or improper method of doing any step can do extra hurt than any good.
What are the advantages of Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya?
A 2011 survey outcome on Isha Yoga practitioners reveals the helpful impact of Shambhavi Mahamudra kriya on the physique and thoughts.
- The kriya helped practitioners to seek out interior peace and happiness.
- Will increase the focus and vitality stage.
- Improves the standard of sleep
- Higher emotional stability and psychological readability
- Reduces menstrual issues like heavy circulate and irregularity of cycles
- Discount in varied illness situations like headache, chilly, flu, hypertension and many others.
A 2017 research discovered that individuals practising Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya have considerably decrease ranges of stress and better ranges of normal well-being.
Based on this research, since Shambhavi Mahamudra makes use of a particular sequence of fast- and slow-pranayama strategies whereas partaking the bandhas, or muscular locks, it could stimulate the vagus nerve – a key mediator of the stress response.
Due to this fact it may be stated that primarily yoga respiratory a part of the kriya produces the helpful physiological and psychological results.
The research additionally discovered that shambhavi kriya might enhance the exercise of the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS), which regulates your “relaxation and digest” response.
Maintain your coronary heart wholesome
Based on a 2014 research, Isha Yoga practices which encompass a set of yogic practices together with Shambhavi Mahamudra enhance coronary heart charge variability (HRV). Excessive HRV is usually thought of an indicator of a wholesome coronary heart.
The research additionally reveals that Shambhavi Mahamudra together with different Isha Yoga practices decreases sympathetic exercise that tends to management hypertension (each systolic and diastolic blood stress). That is helpful for cardiovascular and different techniques.
Enhances psychological capabilities
EEG spectral evaluation of the mind after practising Shambhavi Mahamudra reveals enchancment in psychological capabilities like elevated creativity, higher studying skill, and sharper mind.
A research carried out on skilled Isha Yoga practitioners reveals that there’s a appreciable enhance in delta and theta exercise within the mind after practising Shambhavi Mahamudra. Elevated Delta and Theta exercise point out a deeply targeted mind which is generated in deepest meditation and dreamless sleep.
What’s the distinction between Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya and Shambhavi Mudra?
Although each practices are meditative in nature and have energizing affect on the third eye, they’re completely different from one another.
Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya, which is designed by Sadhguru, could be thought of a developed apply over fundamental Shambhavi Mudra. In fundamental Shambhavi Mudra, gazing on the eyebrows middle is emphasised – it’s a purely meditative apply – no different particular practices are included in it. However in Shambhavi Mahamudra, a novel sequence of various yogic practices is carried out for a particular timeframe to create a heightened stage of perception.
In context to textual reference, Shambhavi Mudra can simply be present in conventional yoga and tantric texts together with – Vigyan bhairav, rudraya mala tantra, hatha yoga pradipika, Shiva Samhita. On different hand, there is no such thing as a precise reference to Shambhavi Mahamudra in any conventional texts. It’s developed and preached by Sadhguru and solely taught underneath Isha Yoga Packages.
In nutshell, Shambhavi mudra is a really efficient method. Damaging feelings like concern, melancholy and fear are lowered and a relaxed way of thinking is developed. In adversarial conditions, practitioners are able to face the issues as a problem and handle themselves.
It helps to extend reminiscence, confidence, readability of ideas, and willpower. The common apply of this mudra develops a magnetic and charming persona.