Anna Moneymaker/Getty Pictures
Welcome to the NPR collection the place we highlight the folks and issues making headlines — and the tales behind them.
Rep. Nancy Mace is not satisfied about a few of the stances her social gathering is taking. And he or she’s already going through blowback for it.
Who’s she? Nancy Mace is a South Carolina congresswoman and Republican.
- A South Carolina native to the Lowcountry area, she was elected to characterize the state’s first congressional district in 2021.
- In line with her web site, Mace’s first job was as a Waffle Home waitress, and he or she finally grew to become the primary lady to graduate from the Corps of Cadets program on the Citadel, a navy school in South Carolina.
- Her tenure has centered on party-aligned points like inflation, taxes, the second modification, the Southern border and the present tradition wars over gender identification and inclusivity.
What is the massive deal? Whereas Mace sees eye to eye with many GOP members on different points, reproductive well being and motion on mass shootings have grow to be some extent of competition.
- Mace, who identifies as pro-life, has been a vocal defendant of the appropriate to decide on as extra GOP legislators push ahead with payments that proceed to limit entry to abortion throughout the nation, calling the efforts “excessive” and mentioning that the largely unpopular strikes may alienate potential voters and endanger folks with a uterus.
- On a CNN look earlier in April, Mace referred to as for the FDA to disregard the courtroom ruling suspending the approval of Mifepristone.
- She additionally individually referred to as upon her social gathering members to take extra motion in response to the growing charge of mass shootings, sharing that she and her personal youngsters have been close to the Isle of Palms taking pictures that occurred earlier this month.
- Mace was additionally one of many few GOP members to talk out in opposition to former President Donald Trump’s potential position in Jan. sixth, although that place has waned over time.
Need extra politics? Hearken to Think about This discover what the phrase ‘robust on China’ actually means.
What are folks saying?
Mace on abortion throughout her CNN look:
That is an FDA-approved drug. I assist the utilization of FDA-approved medicine, even when we’d disagree. It is lower than us to determine as legislators or because the courtroom system that- whether or not or not that is the appropriate drug to make use of or not. This is a matter that Republicans have been largely on the unsuitable facet of. We now have, during the last 9 months, not proven compassion in the direction of girls, and that is a kind of points that I’ve tried to steer on as somebody who’s ‘pro-life’ and simply have some widespread sense.
All people’s welcome to their very own opinion. I characterize a really purple district that is mostly a bellwether for the remainder of the nation. And I can let you know, excess of the overwhelming majority of 60-70% of Individuals should not going to agree with this resolution. And there are lots of pro-life folks that, additionally whereas they’re pro-life, they do not need the federal government to intervene on this radical of a fashion, and the FDA has a rigorous course of.
And through one other TV look:
We have got 14 counties in South Carolina that do not have a single OBGYN physician. So if we will ban abortion, what are we doing to verify girls have entry to contraception?
Mace on gun management throughout a FOX Information look:
Each mass taking pictures, there’s simply silence, and prayers are provided, Easter baskets are provided, however no actual options,
Republicans can not be silent on this subject. And it isn’t concerning the Second Modification. There are many issues that we might be doing apart from providing prayers and silence,
These sorts of widespread sense issues are all issues that each American on both facet of the aisle can get behind, however but each time there is a mass taking pictures, and so they’re growing yearly, each week, we do not say something. We need to bury our heads within the sand and hope that it goes away. However guess what? It isn’t going away.
So, what now?
- Earlier this week, pro-life protestors gathered exterior Mace’s South Carolina places of work, calling for her to resign within the wake of her feedback concerning the abortion drug ruling.
- Mace has referred to as for stronger background checks within the buy of firearms along with improved alert techniques.
- It is vital to notice that Mace has additionally devoted a big portion of her ‘girls’s rights’ platform to “girls in sports activities”, co-sponsoring The Safety of Ladies and Women in Sports activities Act, which seeks to ban transgender girls and ladies from collaborating in ladies’ and ladies’s college sports activities.
Be taught extra: