Italian for “pasta and beans,” Pasta Fagioli must also translate to “greatest soup.” A hearty mixture of pantry staples, veggies, beans, and floor beef, the flavour and satisfaction stage far exceed the standard components.
You most likely know pasta fagioli (pronounced “pasta fah-jolie”) from Olive Backyard, or get it confused with Minestrone Soup.
Minestrone can also be made with pasta, beans, and greens, however it’s usually vegetarian and is usually extra brothy than pasta fagioli, which will get further thickening by mixing the beans.
As for the distinction between this pasta fagioli recipe and what you’ll have had at a sure Italian chain restaurant, let me guarantee you that this recipe is manner higher than bottomless breadsticks (as is Crockpot Tortellini Soup)!
Conventional Italian Recipe, Made Straightforward
This pasta fagioli soup recipe is customized from Immediate Pot Pasta e Fagioli, one other don’t-miss dish from my cookbook.
It’s a humble Italian meal that’s straightforward to arrange (hey, one-pot surprise!), but it surely tastes complicated and can fill you up.
- Straightforward. This pasta fagioli recipe is easy sufficient for a newbie cook dinner, however delicious sufficient to please the discerning professional.
- Finances Pleasant. Pasta fagioli soup is finances pleasant. Bust out the bottom beef from the freezer and people canned tomatoes you’ve had stacked behind the pantry since 2020.
- Versatile. Be at liberty to channel Barefoot Contessa as you put together this pasta fagioli by utilizing your cooking creativity; this soup is versatile and forgiving to include the veggies, beans, and noodles you may have available.
Tips on how to Make the Greatest Pasta Fagioli Recipe
Pasta e fagioli soup is ready in a single pot, and the additional step of pureeing the soup makes for the right, creamy consistency.
It yields a beneficiant portion, and like an excellent pot of chili, it tastes even higher reheated the following day.
- Beans. Two cans of beans (no must soak dry beans!) make this soup much more hearty and filling. I used a mixture of darkish or mild crimson kidney beans and white beans, resembling Nice Northern, cannellini beans, or navy beans.
- Greens. A base of sauteed onion and carrot builds a flavorful base and provides a serving of veg, making this an all-in-one dinner.
- Herbs and Spices. Recent minced garlic, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning add acquainted Italian flavors to the soup, with crushed crimson pepper for a pinch of warmth, and recent herbs like parsley or basil as a last of completion.
- Tomatoes. A big can of crushed tomatoes provides depth to the broth.
- Broth. I like to recommend low sodium rooster broth to regulate the salt stage, however you can even use vegetable broth.
- Crimson Wine Vinegar. The pop of acidity balances all of the flavors.
- Pasta. The normal noodle alternative for pasta fagioli is ditalini pasta, however you should use any small pasta, resembling small shells or elbow macaroni. I exploit entire wheat noodles so as to add extra protein and fiber to the dish.
- Parmesan. For a professional chef transfer, simmer a Parmesan rind in your soup, and freshly grate Parmesan excessive when serving. That is no time for the inexperienced can.
- Brown floor beef in a Dutch oven or massive soup pot. Take away to a plate.
- Sauté greens in olive oil over medium warmth. Add garlic.
- Add 1 cup of the rooster broth and simmer.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and enhance warmth to medium excessive. Simmer.
- Add remaining broth, beans, seasoning, and Parmesan rind. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix a portion of the soup.
- Stir blended portion again into the pot.
- Stir within the pasta, convey to a simmer, and cook dinner till the pasta is al dente, or tender to your choice.
- Stir within the vinegar, parsley, and cooked beef. Serve scorching with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, drizzle of olive oil, and extra recent herbs. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover pasta fagioli in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- To Reheat. Heat on the stovetop or within the microwave till steaming.
- To Freeze. Freeze pasta fagioli for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
If you’re going to have leftovers or are making freezer pasta fagioli soup for a future meal, I like to recommend:
- Maintaining the cooked pasta separate from the soup moderately than mixing it into the pot of soup.
- This may stop the pasta from turning into mushy as it’s saved.
- Combine in cooked pasta whereas reheating the soup.
Meal Prep Tip
You may prep your greens the day previous to cooking to save lots of on time the day of. Chop after which retailer within the fridge in a ziptop bag.
What to Serve with Pasta Fagioli
Soup and salad are a dynamic duo, plus a crusty bread for dipping within the succulent broth.
- Dutch Oven. Stunning and sturdy, this child will final perpetually.
- Chef’s Knife. Maybe the only most vital asset in any kitchen.
- Meat Chopper. A useful little instrument for breaking up floor meat whereas it cooks.
If the one factor now you can say in Italian is “pasta fagioli” (properly, and “gelato”) you’ll be set.
Steadily Requested Questions
Pasta fazool is what pasta fagioli is named in america; fazool is derived from its Neapolitan identify, pasta e fasule.
This pasta fagioli soup recipe does include floor beef, however it may be simply omitted, and moreover, use vegetable broth as a substitute of rooster broth to make it vegetarian. The soup will nonetheless be lots hearty and filling with out the meat because of the beans.
An immersion blender is certainly a useful instrument for soups particularly, however for soups that you do not need completely pureed or you might be particular concerning the parts you need to stay intact, it may be straightforward to by chance go overboard and never obtain the specified texture. For this soup, I like to recommend scooping a portion of the soup right into a blender so that you don’t mix all of it.
- 2 tablespoons further virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound lean floor beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 4 medium carrots scrubbed and minimize into 1/4-inch cube (about X cups)
- 1 small yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 cups low sodium rooster broth divided
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diminished sodium mild or darkish crimson kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can diminished sodium Nice Northern, cannellini, or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry entire wheat miniature pasta such dilatini, small shells or elbow macaroni (about 4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon crimson wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped recent parsley or 1/2 chopped recent basil plus extra for serving
- Water or extra broth as wanted
- Parmesan rind optionally available
In a Dutch over or related massive soup pot, warmth 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high warmth. Add the meat and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook dinner, breaking up the meat with a picket spoon or spatula, till no pink stays, 5 to 7 minutes. Take away to a plate.
Cut back the warmth to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, carrots, onion, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook dinner, stirring ceaselessly, till the greens soften and the onion begins to show translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook dinner till aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup of the rooster broth. Convey to a simmer and scrape the spoon alongside the underside of the pan to take away any stuck-on bits of meals.
Add the crushed tomatoes and enhance the warmth to medium excessive. Let the tomatoes simmer for five minutes, stirring and scraping the spoon alongside the underside of the pan usually to maintain them from sticking.
Add the remaining 3 cups broth, kidney beans, Nice Northern beans, bayleaf, Italian seasoning, pepper, crimson pepper flakes, and Parmesan rind (if utilizing). Convey to a delicate simmer. Let cook dinner, stirring each couple of minutes, for 10 minutes.
Fastidiously switch a number of ladlefuls of the soup to a blender, filling the blender not more than midway (watch out to not scoop up the bayleaf of Parm rind). Puree till clean, then stir again into the soup (you can also place an immersion blender straight within the pot and mix BRIEFLY. You need to puree a part of the beans to thicken the soup however nonetheless have loads of beans intact—take away the bayleaf and Parmesan rind whilst you do that to ensure you don’t mix them, then add them again to the soup).
Stir within the pasta. Convey the soup to a relentless, speedy simmer and let cook dinner, stirring usually to maintain the pasta from sticking to the underside of the pot, till the pasta is al dente, about quarter-hour. Partially cowl the pot to maintain the soup from splattering throughout your range.
Stir within the crimson wine vinegar, parsley, and cooked beef. If the soup is thicker than you desire to, add water or extra broth, till your required consistency is reached. Style and alter seasoning as desired (I often add a number of pinches of salt). Serve scorching, with a beneficiant sprinkle of Parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil, and extra recent herbs.
- TO STORE: Retailer leftover pasta fagioli in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat on the stovetop or within the microwave till steaming.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze pasta fagioli for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Energy: 297kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 25gFats: 10gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 0.3gLdl cholesterol: 47mgPotassium: 987mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 7116IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 96mgIron: 5mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.