Made with each spaghetti noodles and zucchini noodles, this straightforward Cajun Hen Pasta with Zoodles is a more healthy pasta dinner you might be actually going to get pleasure from! The straightforward alfredo sauce and zesty, spicy hen are a mouthwatering mixture.
A Veggie-Ahead Tackle Creamy Cajun Hen Alfredo
It’s no secret that we’re big-time alfredo followers round right here, whether or not it’s shrimp alfredo, pesto alfredo, or alfredo with a southwest twist. Effectively, let me introduce you to our latest member of the Diethood alfredo household: Cajun Hen Alfredo! It goes completely with one other certainly one of my favourite substances – zucchini noodles, AKA Zoodles.
To make this dish, you solely want a skillet for cooking up the Cajun hen and the selfmade alfredo, plus a saucepan to cook dinner the pasta and zoodles. It’s a quick, straightforward, household pleasing meal you can whip up anytime. Plus, it’s veggie-heavy and comparatively low carb!
What You’ll Want
So what substances will you should make this dish? Principally, you’ll want fundamental pantry staples – plus some recent hen, and the zoodles. Right here’s the listing:
- Pasta: I went with dry spaghetti, to imitate the scale and form of the zoodles.
- Zucchini Noodles: You can also make your individual, or purchase them on the grocery retailer from the produce part or frozen part.
- Hen: Hen thighs or breasts will work, lower into small items. I want hen cutlets, that are skinny and cook dinner up shortly.
- Olive Oil
- Cajun Seasoning: Use your favourite mix!
- Chili Powder: For somewhat added depth and earthiness.
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter: Salted or unsalted, whichever you like.
- Garlic: I like to make use of recent minced garlic, however you would substitute garlic from a jar and even garlic powder.
- Hen Broth: Or vegetable broth.
- Heavy Cream: Should you want, you would use half-and-half, however I wouldn’t go lighter than that.
- Parmesan: Freshly-grated, if potential.
- Parsley: Chopped recent parsley is the proper non-compulsory garnish.
How one can Make Cajun Hen Pasta with Zoodles
Now that we’ve lined the substances, let’s speak in regards to the cooking methodology. One factor I really like about that is that you just don’t must do any further work to make the zoodles occur – you may cook dinner them proper together with the pasta. Right here’s the thin:
- Make the Pasta and Zoodles. First, cook dinner the spaghetti in accordance with the bundle instructions. Over the past 5 minutes of the cooking time, add the zucchini noodles, and allow them to boil proper together with the pasta. As soon as each are al dente, drain and put aside.
- Season the Hen and Prepare dinner. In the meantime, season your hen by rubbing it with olive oil, then tossing with the seasonings. Warmth up a number of the butter in a big cast-iron skillet (or different skillet of your alternative) and cook dinner the hen for about 5 minutes on all sides, till performed.
- Make the Alfredo Sauce. Set the hen apart. In the identical skillet, soften the remainder of the butter. Stir within the garlic and let that cook dinner to launch the fragrances. Whisk within the broth, adopted by the cream which must cook dinner for about 5 minutes. Lastly, whisk within the Parmesan and hold whisking till it melts.
- End the Dish. Add the drained zoodles and pasta to your alfredo sauce, and let all of it simmer collectively for a few minutes earlier than taking the skillet off the warmth.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Zucchini noodles have a gentle, nice taste that performs effectively with numerous sauces – however no, zoodles don’t style the identical as pasta. Most pastas are manufactured from starchy grains like wheat, and so they have a starchy, grain-like taste. Zucchini nonetheless has a veggie style and texture, nevertheless it makes a tasty, wholesome, low-carb addition. Chances are you’ll discover that you just want this mixture of spaghetti and zoodles to plain pasta!
A cup of zoodles has solely 3.5 grams of carbs, whereas a cup of standard wheat pasta has 14 grams of carbs. By combining them in roughly equal quantities, you’re solely consuming about 9 grams of carbs – chopping the carb rely by nearly a 3rd.
In some recipes, sure – it’s necessary to salt the zoodles and allow them to drain earlier than you cook dinner with them. Since this recipe requires a fast boil as an alternative of pan-frying the zoodles, I discover that salting and draining are pointless. The zoodles will hand over any further juices whereas they boil, which can then be poured off.
Ideas for Success
Wish to know extra about this dish? Nice! Listed below are my high suggestions and useful hints for making this Cajun hen pasta with zoodles the most effective it may be.
- Zoodle Substitutes: Not loopy about zoodles? It’s also possible to make this with simply the spaghetti – or you would sub in some cooked spaghetti squash. Simple!
- Ditch the Warmth: Dial again the warmth by making your individual cajun spice mix, with out the cayenne pepper or crushed pink pepper that normally offers the combination somewhat warmth. You’ll want a teaspoon every of paprika, salt, and garlic powder; and half a teaspoon every of thyme, onion powder, and floor black pepper. Retailer in a small jar in a cool, darkish place.
- Cajun Shrimp: Do this dish with peeled, deveined shrimp for one more low-carb twist on a favourite! You’ll not have to cook dinner the shrimp so long as you cook dinner the hen tenders. Shrimp are performed when they’re pink and opaque all over. Don’t overcook them, or they’ll be rubbery.
As with most creamy pasta dishes, you actually don’t want an advanced aspect dish right here – let the saucy pasta and hen be the star of the meal! Simple sides like these will spherical out the menu completely:
- Salad: Any inexperienced or backyard salad could be implausible right here, however I notably love the textures, colours, and flavors on this hearty Chopped Egg, Cucumber, and Tomato Salad. It’s chock-full of goodies like avocado, jalapeno, and pink onion, too.
- Roasted Greens: You are able to do these so some ways, with so many flavors! Should you’re new to roasting veggies, do that easy tutorial for Simple Oven Roasted Greens. It’s well-balanced, colourful, and so, so tasty.
- Bread: Should you’re not too involved in regards to the carbs, this dish could be superb with some good garlic bread. However even for individuals who try to maintain issues on the low-carb aspect, bread remains to be potential – strive these Low Carb Keto Breadsticks and luxuriate in!
Refrigerating and Reheating
- When you have leftovers, you may retailer them in your fridge – simply scoop the leftover portion into an hermetic container, and pop it into the fridge. It can hold for two to three days.
Does Cajun Hen Pasta with Zoodles Freeze Effectively?
- Freezing is a bit more sophisticated than refrigerating, as a result of ice crystals will kind and later soften within the meals. Due to this, the sauce and zoodles could not maintain up very effectively to freezing and thawing – you would find yourself with a watery, grainy dish. I don’t advocate freezing, however in the event you do freeze it, strive including somewhat further half-and-half or heavy cream if you reheat to assist the sauce keep velvety.
Prepare dinner the spaghetti in accordance with the bundle instructions; add the zoodles within the final 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.
Mix the hen cutlets and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Add within the cajun seasoning, chili powder, salt, and pepper; toss collectively and put aside.
Soften 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch forged iron skillet (or a pan) set over medium-high warmth.
Add the hen cutlets to the skillet and cook dinner for five minutes per aspect, or till performed. Hen is cooked via when inside temperature registers at 165˚F.
Take away hen from skillet and put aside.
Return skillet to the burner and add within the remaining butter; stir within the garlic and cook dinner for 15 seconds.
Whisk within the hen broth and cook dinner for 1 minute.
Whisk within the heavy cream and produce sauce to a simmer; proceed to simmer for five minutes.
Whisk within the parmesan cheese.
Add the drained zucchini and pasta to the sauce; cook dinner for two minutes.
Take away from warmth.
Slice the hen cutlets.
Switch pasta and hen to a serving plate.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
Energy: 468 kcal | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Protein: 26 g | Fats: 32 g | Saturated Fats: 17 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 9 g | Trans Fats: 0.3 g | Ldl cholesterol: 128 mg | Sodium: 666 mg | Potassium: 544 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 3 g | Vitamin A: 1714 IU | Vitamin C: 7 mg | Calcium: 198 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Web Carbs: 19 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could range in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.
Extra Wholesome Recipes with Zucchini Noodles