Cabbage Rolls – WellPlated.com
Cabbage Rolls are a down-to-earth, comforting, and earnest dish that takes essentially the most modest of components—cabbage, floor meat, and grains—and stretches them to change into a nourishing, hearty, and scrumptious dinner. No marvel they’re beloved the world over!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save lots of for later
Cabbage rolls are made by steaming cabbage leaves till they’re delicate, then wrapping them round a savory combination of meat, rice (or an identical grain), herbs, and spices.
The stuffed cabbage rolls are organized in a casserole dish, then baked with a shiny tomato sauce till they’re meltingly tender.
The cabbage and tomato present earthiness and acidity, the meat filling is richly savory, and the rice supplies bulk, making cabbage rolls a budget-minded meal.
About Cabbage Rolls
I initially considered cabbage rolls as primarily Ukrainian or Polish, however I realized that you will discover variations of cabbage rolls all around the world!
Cabbage rolls are thought to have originated within the Center East, because the Turks introduced them alongside after they conquered Europe, and now they stretch to Western Asia and North Africa.
Chou farci in France, lahanodolmathes in Greece, Polish gloabki (“little pigeons”), Ukranian holubtsi (additionally “little pigeons”), Arabic mahshi malfouf, Jewish prakas…the checklist goes on and on!
Let’s simply say, all the world loves stuffed cabbage rolls, and when you haven’t tried them, you’re lacking out.
The right way to Make Cabbage Rolls
With its beef and rice filling and tomato sauce, at this time’s cabbage roll recipe is influenced by Ukrainian and Polish variations, with a little bit of Jewish affect within the type of nutmeg and a contact of honey added to the sauce for sweetness.
Cabbage rolls are a little bit of a challenge, however they’re so satisfying and completely value it!
In addition they freeze and reheat like a dream—when you’re planning on making them, think about doubling the recipe to take pleasure in at a later date.
In a rush? Attempt my shortcut unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup!
- Cabbage. Not solely does the cabbage enhance this dish’s diet, however it additionally serves as a flavorful and subtly, pleasantly acidic wrapper for the cabbage roll filling. Cabbage is full of fiber, nutritional vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Floor Beef. Including floor beef to the filling provides this dish protein and taste. For the most effective cabbage rolls, it is very important use a flavorful meat, similar to floor beef or floor pork (and even a mixture of the 2).
- Rice. Rice makes the cabbage rolls extra filling. It additionally soaks up the scrumptious flavors from the meat combination and sauce.
- Egg. Including an egg to the filling helps maintain the whole lot collectively.
- Onion + Garlic. For taste and moisture.
- Spices. The important thing to creating the cabbage rolls and sauce delicious. Dried oregano, nutmeg, garlic powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper are what I used on this recipe.
- Tomatoes. Each tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes are used to arrange the savory sauce. The sauce retains the cabbage rolls moist and blankets them in wealthy taste.
- Honey. For a contact of pure sweetness to stability the acidity.
- Crimson Wine Vinegar. Provides acidity and depth of taste to the sauce.
- Cook dinner rice to al dente. Core the entire head of cabbage and peel off any soiled leaves. Simmer the cabbage in a big pot of water for about Quarter-hour. Take away the cabbage.
- Sauté the onion. Add the garlic.
- Switch the onion and garlic to the rice bowl.
- Add the meat, egg, herbs, and spices, mixing to mix.
- Peel 12 bigger, tender cabbage leaves from the top. Trim any powerful ribs off the leaves.
- Chop the remaining cabbage into strips. Scatter them within the baking dish.
- Assemble the cabbage rolls by including the meat combination to the middle of a cabbage leaf.
- Fold the edges inwards to create the sealed cabbage roll.
- Place them within the baking dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bowl that held the meat. Add water to one of many empty tomato cans, then pour it into the bowl. Stir within the tomatoes, spices, and herbs.
- Pour the sauce over the rolls.
- Cowl the pan with foil. Bake cabbage rolls at 350 levels F for about 1 1/2 hours. Take away the baking dish from the oven. Spoon the new liquid excessive of every cabbage roll. Get better the dish and permit it to relaxation for Half-hour. Discard the bay leaves. DIG IN!
Ideas for the Finest Cabbage Rolls
- Use a Small/Medium (NOT LARGE) Head of Cabbage. Bigger cabbage leaves are harder, making them more difficult to cook dinner by way of correctly; they’re additionally more durable to roll.
- Cook dinner the Rice Simply to Al Dente. The rice will proceed to cook dinner within the oven, so don’t overdo it whenever you boil the rice or your filling can be mushy.
- Resist the Urge to Overstuff. Should you put an excessive amount of filling in every leaf, the rolls can be tough to roll up and so they might crumble whenever you cook dinner them. You probably have additional filling, you may roll it into meatballs and bake it together with the remainder of the dish.
- To Retailer. Cowl and refrigerate leftovers, or place them in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm cabbage rolls in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze a Small Portion. Retailer leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- To Freeze a Full Dish. Cowl the dish with foil, then wrap it in plastic wrap just a few occasions (or place the person cabbage rolls in a big freezer bag). Thaw within the fridge in a single day (this could take 1 1/2 -2 days). Reheat coated in a 350 levels F oven for about 25-Half-hour (be sure to take away any plastic!).
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, chop the onion and garlic and core the cabbage. You may as well par-cook the rice as directed in Step 1. Refrigerate every ingredient till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought!
Go away a ranking under within the feedback and let me understand how you preferred the recipe.
Be part of within the world love of cabbage rolls with this spin on conventional cabbage rolls!
Regularly Requested Questions
Should you want to not use floor beef, you may swap it for floor pork. I don’t suggest utilizing a much less flavorful floor meat, similar to floor turkey or hen for this recipe.
Sure, cabbage rolls are a wholesome meal total. A superb quantity of fiber, protein, nutritional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are why cabbage rolls are good for you.
In case your cooked cabbage is hard, it’s seemingly as a result of the cabbage shouldn’t be cooked by way of but. Proceed to cook dinner the rolls till they’re tender. It’s additionally necessary to be sure to let the rolls relaxation after they’re completed baking.
Inexperienced cabbage is what I used for this recipe, because it’s usually the best to search out and most inexpensive. You need to use savoy cabbage as a substitute if you will discover it. Napa cabbage can be effective to make use of, however you’ll need to be sure that the top you choose is large enough for rolling.
- 1/2 cup raw long-grain brown rice rinsed and drained*
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium head inexperienced cabbage 1 1/2 to 2 kilos—DO NOT use a bigger head or the leaves can be tough to cook dinner by way of, tough to roll, and it will likely be more durable to stem
- 1 pound lean floor beef I used 90% lean
- 1 giant egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano divided
- 1 teaspoon floor nutmeg divided
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley divided
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon purple wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
Place one of many oven racks within the decrease third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Flippantly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Put aside.
Mix the rice and water in a medium saucepan and convey to a boil over excessive. Cut back the warmth and simmer uncovered on low, stirring often, for 25 minutes, till the rice is partially cooked (it would hold baking within the oven). Pressure the rice by way of a effective mesh strainer and rinse with chilly water to take away any extra liquid and starch. Place in a big bowl and put aside. Maintain the pot useful (no want to wash it).
In the meantime, core the cabbage: Peel off any soiled leaves from the cabbage head. Sit the cabbage in your chopping board so the stem facet is dealing with immediately upwards. Utilizing a paring knife, make 4 cuts which can be every 1/2-inch away from the core in order that the cuts type a sq.. Make every minimize at an angle in order that your knife is pointing down in direction of the core as you slice. Shimmy the knife by way of every nook of the sq. form to assist loosen the core. Then, pull on the cabbage stem space to take away the core. It’s possible you’ll must wiggle your paring knife across the sq. once more to assist loosen it. Discard the core.
Simmer the cabbage: Fill a big pot with 2 inches of water. Deliver to a boil, then scale back the warmth to a medium-low warmth such that the water simmers. Fastidiously decrease the cabbage (with its core facet dealing with the underside of the pot and the highest of the top dealing with up) into the pot and canopy it. Let simmer for Quarter-hour. With a slotted spoon or handheld medium sieve, rigorously raise the cabbage out of the water. Let cool till you may deal with it safely, 10-Quarter-hour.
To the now-empty pot you used to cook dinner the rice, add 2 tablespoons of oil and the onion. Sauté over medium-low warmth for 10 minutes till softened. Add the garlic and saute till aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the onion-garlic combination to the bowl of rice.
Add the bottom beef, egg, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and a couple of tablespoons chopped parsley. With a fork or your fingers, combine to mix, ensuring to not overwork the meat. Solely combine till simply mixed. Put aside.
Place the semi-cooled, cooked cabbage on a chopping board. Peel 12 bigger in-tact leaves off of the cabbage (peel from the core facet for simple elimination). Trim any powerful, thick ribs from the stem facet of the cabbage leaf by utilizing a paring knife to chop a V form across the rib to take away it. (Don’t minimize off an excessive amount of or it will likely be exhausting to roll.) Put aside.
Quarter and chop any remaining cabbage into skinny 1/4-inch strips. Scatter evenly over the underside of the baking dish.
Assemble the rolls: Add 2 heaping tablespoons of the meat combination to the middle of a cabbage leaf (it is OK if the leaf remains to be a bit damp).
Fold the edges of the leaf inwards to cowl the meat, then start rolling from the stem facet, till you will have a cabbage roll.
Place seam facet down, within the ready baking dish. Repeat with remaining cabbage till you will have 12 rolls. If there may be any leftover beef combination, roll it into small (about 1-to 1 1/2-inch) meatballs and organize them within the pan in between the rolls.
To the now-empty bowl that held the meat combination, add the tomato sauce. Add 1/2 cup water to one of many empty tomato sauce cans, swish round, and add the water to the bowl. Combine within the crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, bay leaf, vinegar, honey, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Stir gently to mix.
Fastidiously pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls. Elevate the cabbage rolls a bit to make sure the sauce will get distributed beneath them.
Spray a chunk of foil giant sufficient to cowl the pan with nonstick spray. Cowl the pan tightly with the foil, inserting it spray-side down. Place onto a rimmed baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake till the cabbage is sort of fork tender and simply cuts with a paring knife, about 1 1/2 hours.
Take away from the oven and thoroughly uncover the pan. Use a spoon to ladle the new sauce from the underside of the pan over every cabbage roll. Get better the pan securely with foil and permit to relaxation at room temperature for Half-hour.
Take away and discard the bay leaves. Serve instantly or retailer within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- *Should you want white rice, you may swap the identical quantity of long-grain white basmati rice. White rice cooks extra rapidly than brown, so that you’ll solely must simmer for about 12 minutes to par-cook it; pressure, rinse, and use within the recipe identical to the brown rice.
- TO STORE: Cowl and refrigerate leftovers, or place them in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm cabbage rolls in a baking dish within the oven at 350°F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE A SMALL PORTION: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- TO FREEZE A FULL DISH: Cowl the pan with foil, then wrap in plastic wrap just a few occasions (or place the person cabbage rolls in a big freezer bag). Defrost within the fridge in a single day (if you’re defrosting a whole pan, this could take 1 1/2 -2 days). Reheat coated in a 350°F oven for about 25-Half-hour (be sure to take away any plastic!).
Serving: 1 cabbage roll (of 12)Energy: 173kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 12gFats: 5gSaturated Fats: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 39mgPotassium: 614mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 566IUVitamin C: 38mgCalcium: 72mgIron: 3mg
Be part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.