This entry was posted on Could 19, 2022 by Charlotte Bell.
Most of us spend an terrible lot of time sitting. Desk jobs could appear simple on the physique, however in actuality, all that sitting can wreak havoc on our bodily and cognitive well being. Results of an excessive amount of sitting embody foggy mind on account of poor circulation, weakened belly and gluteal muscle mass, neck issues from an excessive amount of flexion (aka textual content neck), hypertension, coronary heart illness and even probably colon most cancers. (Right here’s a Washington Publish chart that goes into extra element.) Yoga apply can actually play a component in assuaging the stresses of sitting. Stretching the hip flexors is vital. Crescent Lunge Pose (Anjaneyasana) is likely one of the simplest—and most accessible—poses for lengthening the hip flexors.
Crescent Lunge Pose helps stretch the hip flexors as a result of the again leg is in an prolonged place. That’s true for different lunge poses as nicely. However Crescent Lunge is exclusive in that the torso is upright. This provides a backbend to the combo, which stretches the hip flexors even additional.
The Drawback with Crescent Lunge
You’ve in all probability seen photographs of flexible girls working towards Crescent Lunge with their again thigh virtually touching the bottom. These photographs could look spectacular, however they make me cringe. I’m no psychic, however I do perceive hip joint mechanics. Once I see these photographs, I can envision these identical girls getting hip replacements down the street.
Whenever you permit your entire weight of your torso to bear down on the hip joint when it’s in excessive extension, you may, over time, injury the cartilage and labrum. Whenever you collapse towards gravity on this pose, the femur head presses into the socket beneath excessive strain. This wears down the cartilage and might even tear the labrum. Chances are high, you gained’t really feel it on the time. That’s as a result of cartilage has no ennervation. You don’t really feel the injury till the cartilage is gone and your joint is bone on bone.
Stretch Your Hip Flexors AND Save Your Hips
The excellent news is, you may apply Crescent Lunge safely. You simply must let go of the concept that your thigh must be hovering simply inches above the bottom. Yoga shouldn’t be a “no ache, no acquire” endeavor. You don’t must push your self till you’re feeling excessive sensation. In reality, creating the sensitivity to really feel delicate sensation is extra indicative of “superior” apply than is pushing your self to an unhealthy restrict. No yoga pose is value damaging your joints!
Yoga Blocks may be key to working towards Crescent Lunge in a means that retains your hip joints protected. Certain, you may apply safely with out blocks by merely not permitting your physique to break down towards the ground. However inserting your palms on Yoga Blocks helps you loosen up extra deeply into your pose.
The way to Apply Supported Crescent Lunge
There are a number of methods to method Crescent Lunge Pose. I like to start with Uttanasana (Standing Ahead Bend Pose), in order that’s what I’ll describe right here. I like to position a folded Yoga Blanket beneath my again knee on this pose, particularly if I’m working towards on a tough ground, however that’s non-obligatory.
Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Yoga Mat
- Two Yoga Blocks
- One folded Yoga Blanket (non-obligatory)
- Place a folded Yoga Blanket throughout the middle of your mat.
- Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose) at one finish of your mat, dealing with away from the “tail” finish of the mat. Place two Yoga Blocks on both sides of your ft at their tallest peak.
- Bend ahead out of your hip joints into Uttanasana (Standing Ahead Bend Pose).
- Bend your knees sufficient which you can place your palms in your Yoga Blocks.
- Step your proper leg again in order that your again foot is a couple of leg size out of your entrance foot. Let your proper knee come to the bottom (or to your blanket). You could want to regulate the place of your blanket in order that it pads your knee.
- Your left shin ought to be vertical or close to vertical. If it’s not, modify the gap between your entrance foot and again knee.
- Together with your palms in your Yoga Blocks, elevate your torso as much as vertical. Actively press your palms into your blocks, somewhat than collapsing into them. This creates an upward rebound that energizes the higher physique.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths.
- Step your proper foot ahead into Uttanasana once more. Chill out right here, respiration into your again.
- Whenever you’re prepared, step your left leg again and repeat Crescent Lunge on the opposite aspect.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced educating in 1986. Charlotte is the writer of Conscious Yoga, Conscious Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Purple Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.